A kickass day to you guys!
Im so excited to be sharing my industry knowledge with you. These are just everyday tips and tricks that will help to keep your hair looking AMAZEBALLS throughout the year. Hope you enjoy..
1.MOISTURISE, MOISTURISE, MOISTURISE! Always apply a leave in moisturiser everyday (pic below of JUUCE solar ends) Especially before swimming- this helps to keep colour in and to protect your hair from drying. After swimming, always shampoo out any chlorine straight away if you can. The longer it is in your hair the more dry it can become.
2. NO DIY! Don't over process your hair. Always get a trained professional to colour and cut your hair. No champagne fuelled nights with your bestie and decide your both going to cut bangs! Don't try to save a buck by doing it yourself. Your not going to save anything that way. Your going to make more mess than what its worth.
3. PROTECT FROM HEAT! When styling with heat, always use a heat protectant. This will really help with dryness and with split ends. Just apply a cream when wet that has heat protectant qualities before you blow-dry and then a spray when dry before straightening and curling. Apply to each section you do.
4. CHANGE IT UP! Review your shampoo and conditoner- in summer you may need more colour protectant qualities and more moisture. Its a great idea to change up your products every few months. For a couple of reasons...
* Keeps it interesting for you
* Your hair gets used to the shampoo and conditioner and doesn't feel the same.
* Throughout the year and your seasonal colour changes, your hair will require a different prescription.
5. LOOK AFTER UR COLOUR! Instant colour saver treatment. They are a leavein, once a week treatment that are quick, easy and effective. You can have them in salon or take home. They protect from colour fading and they seal the hair making it feel and look smoother & healthier.
6. WET BRUSH! Use a wet brush. These are the best thing since sliced bread. They don't pull your hair, they detangle & are so easy, even my 3 year old will let me brush her hair with this- thats saying something. Most of the time, if your brushing your hair when wet, you are creating split ends. This is from the excessive pulling and stretching of the wet hair. I just leave mine in the shower & comb through the conditioner with it. Alternatively, you can comb your hair with the wet brush after getting out and towel drying. (Link Below)
7. REGULAR PRUNING! Just like your plants, your hair needs to be trimmed up to make sure it looks in tip top shape. Every 6 weeks at least. This is around 8 times a year. I have many a client trying to grow their hair long & luchious, so they avoid me for several months lol
Unfortunately, this doesn't help your hair to grow long & luchious, this does the exact opposite. The split ends don't get trimmed therefore they split more and more until they are all the way up on the hair shaft. When this happens, not only will you have frizzy, dry, fly-away hair, it will also have to have quite a bit taken off of it when you do finally make a hair appointment.
Split ends can be tamed but can't be fixed. once they are there, you will have to cut them to get rid of them.
This will be avoided if you just regularly come in- we won't bite!! well not too hard anyway. The secret to not having the dreaded hair fuck up is to really do your research.
Find out what the stylists work is like, is it your style? if not, find one that has the same taste and style. Have a consult with them first before you commit to an appointment. Get on the same page as each other.
8. TREAT YO' HAIR! While your at it, book in for a in house treatment before your trim/stylecut. Not only is it amazing, relaxing and good for your health and your hair, it also helps your stylist to cut & style your hair better as well.
9. GO WITHOUT HEAT! I can hear your screams from here! Seriously thou, go without the blowdrying and straightening. even if its just a week or so. It will make a difference to the condition of your hair. I did this recently but not by choice. I had a baby and had no time or energy to bother with hair- it was the last thing on my mind.
The funny thing was that my hair started to feel fantastic and my curls started to come back. This was after a week of no styling just air drying. So, I do encourage you to go without heat just for a week. Don't go without product thou while your doing no heat... that would be a hair nightmare.
10. INVISIBOBBLE! What the hell is that. you say? They are a spiral, clear hair tie. They don't put as much pressure on the hair so that it doesn't indent the hair. They are easy to get out too. Great for your kids hair also. (Link Below)
Other things to consider are when pulling your hair back into a pony, your hair can also become split if it gets tied up wet or if you use a band that is too tight- never use rubber bands.
You could also try using a silk pillow case and sleep with you hair in a braid. This stops split ends also and keeps your style in longer as it doesn't knot your hair while you sleep.
Hope these little tips and tricks will help you on your hair journey.
Happy, Healthy Hair
Sair May xo