1. Do some extensive research. I know this one is obvious but from experience many brides dont have a clear vision of what they want.This is because there are so many ideas and options floating around on the internet these days that it starts to get confusing and overwhelming. So, save some pins on Pinterest, look up styles from celebrities & also ask your stylist for work they have done but the aim is to get really clear on what you want.
This will stop a lot of unnecessary heartache. Know your style. What look are you really working towards and let your stylist know every detail. Bring a maximum 3 photos of hairstyles with you. They can be of different styles but you just dont want a barrage of different photos and styles in 1000 different photos. Usually your stylist will have their own unique style and ideas for you aswell & its great to combine your ideas, your photos & you stylists suggestions. This way you will have your own individual updo designed especially for you. Do bring a photo of your dress and colours of bridesmaids dresses and ideas for their hair. This will help your stylist get in tune with the overall theme your going for.
2. One month before your wedding day, book into your preferred stylist for a trial run. Bring your photos and freshly shampoo your hair the night before. Make sure you have all accessories there to show your stylist and your veil so you can discuss placement. If you are not happy with something please - speak up!!! At the end of the day, its your hair and your day and your stylist only wants the best for you. So please don't think you will offend us because you are actually helping us achieve the style by speaking up.
It would be a great idea to have your makeup trial the same day and then go and try on your dress for an overall feel. Again, if you get home and you are not feeling it- tell us! The reason we do the trial a month before is so there is still time to do another trial if needed.
3. Once you have had your trial and your lovin' it, you can then talk about colour. This is done preferably the same day as the trial so book in a little more time. This is great because you can then look at the style and really think about placement of colour and what would look amazing. Don't go for any major colour changes this close to your wedding. If you are planning on being a blonde but you are brunette-book this in 6-12 months in advance. If not and your just looking to freshen your colour up, book your colour in the week before.
4.Along with your colour, your stylist may suggest a moisture treatment to really get the ends nice and smooth and get your hair into the best shape of its life. If your hair is particularly dry, damaged or brittle, it might be suggested for you to have a course of treatments leading up to the wedding. This may be for a few months so get researching on a stylist if you haven't already snagged yourself one.
5. Have a tiny micro trim. This won't mean you will lose much length, it will just help with your style sitting its best. Ask to have your split ends trimmed but use the term micro trim and book in with a stylist you trust. After the wedding you can then get more off or change your style completely- totally up to you.
6. Make sure you shampoo your hair the night before. Shampoo twice and really make sure you get all product and build up out of all of your scalp not just the top. Make sure you get into the back aswell.
When conditioning, make sure it is only the mid lengths and ends. If you put it near your scalp it will end up being too oily the next day and you won't get the longevity & height you want for your amazing style.
Limit products after you shampoo your hair. Maybe a moisturiser and a heat spray- that is it. Moisturiser just on the mid lengths and ends and heat spray before you dry.
7. Part your hair where you would like your hair to be parted for your wedding hair. This is done while wet and you could either let it dry naturally into that part if you are wanting to use some of your natural wave/curl if you have curly hair or if not blow-dry your hair to this part. This will really make your style sit so much better than trying to get it to sit into a part when it has dried differently. If you want your hair to come straight back off your face, then let it dry that way.
If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, book into your stylist the day before and treat yourself to a shampoo/blow dry with them. This is a double whammy as you get pampered you can go over your style one more time with your stylist. That way your mind is at ease, your stylist knows exactly where your at and your hair is now prepped and ready for the big day. In my salon we offer this as a complimentary service as a wedding pressie so ask your salon if they do any little extras for the bride or wedding party because I dare say most would.
8. This is the main one!! Dont stress!! A stressed out bride is an unhappy bride and we don't want that!!. Enjoy the pampering and enjoy this wonderful time - dont sweat the small stuff. Your going to be an amazing, shithot bride!
-Happy Healthy Hair-
Sair May xo
Wedding @ Gabbinbar
Bride- Megan Archer
Hair- Styles At Escape